Gortalassa National School was opened in 1937. It has a separate entrance for the Cailini (girls) and Buchalli (boys). It is almost identical in design to St James NS in Durrus, which was opened in the same year and considered to be a 'model' school. There were two main classrooms, flushing toilets, fresh water and outdoor shelters for the pupils.
Today it is used as a community centre and place of worship.